How to Get Window Sticker from VIN Number – Several Ways to Try
Before you learn (or know) how to get window sticker from VIN number, you need to know what it is and what its function is. VIN is Vehicle Identification Number, a series of numbers (usually 17 digits) stamped to a car’s chassis. VIN is the car’s identification code – much like an ID to people – that is unique. No car will have the same VIN number because it is designed that way. In some cases, VIN is referred to as the cars DNA because you can identify the details, model, and year of the car from the number alone.
How Is VIN Important?
If you want to know the exact identity of a car, you only need to check the VIN number. After all, car manufacturers and companies would carry their database with this number. The number itself would identify and validate the car. This is also handy when you want to buy a secondhand car. You can check the status, including whether it is legit or it has been involved in any crime.
In fact, if you buy a secondhand ride from car dealers, they are obligated by law to have a window sticker containing the information of the car, such as the standard options, the original dealer and price, and optional equipment.
Getting the Window Sticker
So, how to get window sticker from VIN number? There are several ways or methods that you can do to obtain it. You will need the VIN and also the dealer’s invoice as well as the car’s build sheet.
- Every car has its own original dealership (where it is first sold). Go there and show the proof of ownership, the VIN, and also the name of the original owner. Then you can get the copy of the original window sticker. Be advised that it is obligatory that you show all of those 3 elements. Otherwise, the dealership has the right to refuse your inquiry.
- You can reach out to the port facility – it is where the car was sent to the dealer. And how do you get the information about the port facility? From the dealer. They should have been able to provide the information about the port. For import cars, it is the port that will be responsible for the window sticker so they should have the copy (of the sticker).
- You can search the online auction sites (like eBay) for the original window stickers for the year, model, and make. If you are lucky, you should be able to get it, but if not, it is worth to try.
- You can also go to the auto maker site. They should provide a special section where you can look up for the window sticker through entering the VIN number. From there, you can print a copy. But this method doesn’t always work as it may apply to only some brands – not all of them.
- You can also create a new one. There are many services specializing themselves in creating the window stickers. If you are able to provide the dealer invoice and the build sheet of the car, then these services can create the replica of the original window sticker.
Those are some of the ways on how to get window sticker from VIN number – so feel free to try which one you are most comfortable with.